| Read Time: < 1 minute | Slip and Fall

What to do after a slip, trip or fall accident?

What to do immediately following a slip or trip and fall accident: Get Medical Attention Although you may feel fine initially, you may have sustained an injury and you cannot feel anything right away due to adrenaline. It is always better to have a medical professional check you over.   Inspect the Area Where the Fall Occurred Check your surroundings to see what you slipped or tripped over. If possible, try to take a picture of the area or have someone else take one for you.   Identify Witnesses Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of anyone in the area where you fell that witnessed the fall and/or state of the area where you fell.   Get an Incident Report If you fell in a store or business establishment, get an incident report with the manager of the establishment as soon as possible.   Take Photos As Soon As Possible Again, take photos of the area where you fell. Also, take photos of your injuries immediately after the accident and whenever bruising or swelling begins to occur.   What to do shortly after a slip or trip and fall accident: Consider retaining a personal injury attorney. It is likely that someone from the company will attempt to contact you after the accident. They may seem like they are trying to be your friend, but remember, they work for the opposing party, NOT YOU! They are going to try to get incriminating comments from you and minimize your case against them. Refer anyone who contacts you regarding the accident to your personal injury attorney.   IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED AS A RESULT OF A SLIP OR TRIP AND FALL ACCIDENT, CALL SILVA INJURY LAW TODAY FOR A FREE LEGAL CONSULTATION.

Continue Reading

| Read Time: < 1 minute | Auto Accidents

If you are hurt by an uninsured or under-insured motorist, here is what you need to know

Many people drive without insurance in California. Even more people drive with only minimum liability coverage of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident. If you are injured by a driver who is uninsured or underinsured, you will need another source of insurance coverage to pay for your injuries and losses. Many times, this will be your own uninsured motorist “UM” or underinsured motorist “UIM” coverage. Make Sure You Have UM/UIM Coverage In California, your insurance agent is required to offer you UM/UIM coverage at a level that is at least equal to your liability coverage. It only makes sense to protect yourself and your family at least as well as you protect other people. If you do not have UM/UIM coverage, then the insurance company is required to have a signed document that you declined coverage. If the insurance company cannot produce this document, you have the potential to be covered. How UM/UIM Coverage Works When you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will stand in for the other party and pay for the same damages the other party’s insurance would have paid had they been adequately insured. Much like insurance companies for at fault parties in a collision with injuries, it will also look for ways to limit your claim or even avoid paying for your injuries and losses. Hiring an attorney to ensure your rights are protected is just as important in these situations as in situations when you would pursue a claim against another driver’s insurance company. REMEMBER: It is against the law for your insurance company to raise your rates if you were not at fault for the accident. IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED IN A CAR ACCIDENT BY AN UNDERINSURED OR UNINSURED DRIVER, CALL SILVA INJURY LAW FOR A FREE LEGAL CONSULTATION TODAY.

Continue Reading