Merced Sexual Assault Lawyers
Being a victim of sexual assault or harassment can turn your world upside down. Unfortunately, these types of crimes are all too common.
While nothing can undo the harm and emotional trauma you have suffered, there are ways to help you recover in the aftermath. One such way is through a civil lawsuit seeking damages arising out of the assault or harassment. If you are a survivor of sexual assault or harassment, we want to help. The Merced sexual assault lawyers and injury lawyers at Silva Injury Law, Inc. are standing by and ready to fight for your rights. Give us a call today to discuss your case and see what we can do for you.
Experienced And Compassionate Merced Sexual Assault Attorneys Ready To Serve You
In 2020, there were a staggering 13,439 rapes or attempted rates reported in the State of California. Even more concerning, however, is the fact that this number only reflects reported rapes. It does not include the many other reports of sexual assault and harassment. Nor does it include the countless crimes that go unreported.
Dealing with the aftermath of assault or harassment can feel isolating, but know that you are not alone. The sexual assault attorneys at Silva Injury Law, Inc. are here to provide you the legal and emotional support you need. We know how difficult it can be to face this, but our team will be there with you at every step along the way.
- If you are being abused, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) or visit thehotline.org
- If you are a teen being abused call the National Teen Dating Helpline at 1-866-331-9474 or visit loveisrespect.org
- If you have been raped or experienced sexual violence, call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or visit rainn.org
- For safety planning, safe shelter, and counseling, contact W.E.A.V.E.: When Everyone Acts Violence Ends 1-866-920-2952 weaveinc.org
Why Hire Silva Injury Law, Inc. As Your Merced Sexual Assault And Harassment Lawyers
Finding the right Merced sexual assault and harassment attorney for your case is no easy task.
There are many attorneys in the greater Merced, CA, area, and narrowing down the options can feel stressful and overwhelming. So, how do you go about selecting the right attorney for you?
Of course, it is important to have a Merced sexual harassment lawyer or sexual assault lawyer who regularly handles these types of cases. But more than that, you also deserve an attorney who is compassionate, understanding, and who will have your best interests at heart.
When you hire the sexual assault and harassment lawyers at Silva Injury Law, Inc. that is precisely what you will get. Here are some more reasons why we think we are the best firm for you:
- Our Merced sexual assault lawyers have years of experience navigating these specific types of legal claims;
- We have considerable experience in the courtroom, advocating for our clients at all stages of the litigation process;
- When you hire our team, you will not pay us one penny unless and until we are able to collect money for you on your case;
- We treat our clients like family and are proud to have received numerous positive reviews from many of them; and
- More than anything, we believe our duty goes far beyond recovering monetary compensation for our clients—we strive at all times to give you the compassion and emotional support you need and deserve.
If you are searching for a Merced sexual assault attorney to fight for your rights, look no further than Silva Injury Law, Inc.
Civil Vs. Criminal Lawsuit: What’s The Difference?
Sexual assault is a crime that is punishable by fines and potential prison time. However, this is not the only way to hold your attacker accountable. Another avenue for recovery is to pursue a civil claim to recover damages.
Civil and criminal lawsuits are two separate and distinct legal pathways. Below are some of the key differences between civil and criminal claims:
- Criminal charges are brought by the state on the victim’s behalf, rather than by the actual victim of the assault;
- Criminal charges have a higher burden of proof, which can make them more difficult to prove in court; and
- Whereas a successful civil claim can result in financial compensation for the victim, a successful criminal conviction will not result in any monetary compensation.
Neither option is necessarily better than the other. Both civil and criminal claims can provide victims with a sense of justice and accountability. Nevertheless, only a civil claim can allow you to recover financially for the harm you have suffered.
Additionally, it is important to note that you do not have to pick one option over the other.
Even if your attacker has been charged with and convicted of criminal sexual assault, you can still pursue a civil claim. In fact, if your attacker has already been convicted criminally, this can be used to help prove your civil case.
Damages Available To Victims Of Sexual Assault And Harassment
You might be wondering whether it’s worth going through the time and effort of pursuing a civil lawsuit against your attacker. While navigating the civil claims process can certainly be emotionally daunting at times, it can often lead to financial compensation that will help you on your pathway toward recovery.
One of the primary benefits of filing a civil lawsuit is the ability to seek damages to help compensate sexual assault and harassment victims for the harm they have suffered. Examples of damages that are commonly recoverable in a sexual assault civil lawsuit include compensation for:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Loss in earning capacity,
- Therapy costs,
- Pain and suffering,
- Psychological treatment, and
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
These damages won’t allow you to turn back time and prevent the assault or harassment from occurring. However, they can help you recover as you work toward taking back control of your life.
If you have questions about what damages you may be entitled to recover in your case, give our Merced sexual assault attorneys a call today.
Contact The Merced Sexual Assault Attorneys At Silva Injury Law Today
At Silva Injury Law, Inc., our Merced sexual assault lawyers have helped countless clients as they pursue justice. We hope we will have the opportunity to help you too.
Our experienced legal team also handles other types of injury cases, including:
- Truck Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Slip and Fall
- Car Accident
- Wrongful Death Claim
- Dog Attack
- Pedestrian Accident
- Drunk Driving Accident
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Nursing Home Abuse
We promise to always provide the highest level of legal representation and professionalism possible. But more than that, we will provide you with the compassion, support, and advocacy you need and deserve. Contact our team today for a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced Merced sexual assault and harassment attorney.